Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan - Local Roads Package
- Written by: Adam Gatt Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 firstname.lastname@example.org https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
The Australian Government is funding a $200 million Local Roads Package as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan linked to the development of the Western Sydney Airport at Badgerys Creek.
Coreen Avenue Intersection Upgrades
Project scope: The Coreen Avenue corridor, between Castlereagh Road and Lemongrove Road, is set to receive an upgrade to improve the overall efficiency and safety of intersections and ensure the road can cater for future traffic demands. Funding to complete this upgrade was received in the fourth round of the Local Roads Package. Plans include new signalised intersections to improve traffic flow and queuing times during peak periods, the removal of roundabouts, introduction of access changes to enhance safety and more street lighting and new and upgraded footpaths and pedestrian refuge islands
Project phase: Design
For more information visit yoursaypenrith.com.au/coreenavenueupgrade.
Erskine Park Road Upgrade - Completed
Erskine Park Road is safer and more efficient thanks to a $27 million upgrade funded by Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan - Local Roads Package. This upgrade widened the road to a four-lane dual carriageway between Bennett Road and Explorers Way to join the existing four-lane sections towards the M4 Motorway and Swallow Drive.
Other features of this upgrade included new signalised intersections at Erskine Park Road/Bennett Road and Erskine Park Road/ Explorers Way and new seagull intersections at Erskine Park Road/Peppertree Drive and Erskine Park Road/Coonawarra Drive. The works commenced in November 2018 and finished in June 2021.
- Enhance the regional road link between the new Airport and Regional Centre of Penrith
- Enhance the regional road link between the new Airport at Badgerys Creek and M4 Motorway
- Improve traffic flow
- Improve the efficiency of signalised intersections by increasing right turn and left turn capacity and widening intersection approaches
- Manage congestion and reducing delays to all traffic modes including to heavy vehicles
Caddens Road Upgrade - Completed
A $12.5 million upgrade linking Caddens Road in Claremont Meadows with the Werrington Arterial Road was completed in early 2022. The $12.5 million upgrade was funded by the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan - Local Roads Package. Features of this upgrade included road widening, a shared user path, new roundabout, new bus stop and bus shelters and new street lights.
- Providing better connectivity to the east to maximise travel time saving brought about by the recently upgraded Kent Road and Gipps St
- Improved collector road link to Bringelly Road to the west to support future land release and growth in the surrounding areas.
- Better access to Western Sydney Airport via Bringelly Road and The Northern Road.
- Improving road safety and drive quality.
- Improving pedestrian and cyclist access and Improving lighting in the area to cater for expected increase in pedestrian and cyclist activities at night.