Bulky Waste Collections
- Written by Adam Gatt Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 firstname.lastname@example.org https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
What is bulky waste?
“Bulky waste” is the big stuff - items that are too big, too heavy or too bulky to be put in your household bins.
Council provides Penrith residents with four free collections every year, with each collection allowance being two cubic metres in size (roughly the same carrying capacity of a standard box trailer). Bulky waste collections can be arranged for a variety of household items — but remember, a collection needs to be booked first!
Items accepted in bulky waste collections
The following items are ACCEPTED and will be collected when placed out correctly:
- Rolled carpet*
- Other similar items
*Maximum of 1m in length.
**Maximum of four per collection. Please ensure these are kept separate to other items as they are collected by a separate truck to be sent to the correct recycling facility.
- Clothing and textiles**
*Please ensure all batteries are removed from any toys prior to putting it out for collection.
**Consider donating clothing or textiles that are in good condition. To make sure textiles in fair condition are sent to the right place to be recycled, consider arranging a RecycleSmart Power Pickup.
***The Penrith Community Recycling Centre (CRC) provides a free and convenient alternative to dispose of electronics in an environmentally friendly way.
- Garden clippings
*Individual branches must be no larger than 1.2m long and 10cm in diameter. Branches must be bundled and tied together into manageable loads.
Each individual item must be able to be reasonably lifted by two people. Items which are not reasonably able to be lifted by two people due to excessive weight or size will not be accepted.
- Washing machines
- Other similar items
Items that are not accepted in bulky waste collections
The following items are NOT accepted and will not be collected if placed out as part of a bulky waste collection. Penalties apply.
- Fence palings
- Other similar items
- Tree stumps
- Tree roots
- Car parts
- Materials over 1.5m long
- Items unable to reasonably be lifted by two people
To find out more about how to safely dispose of problem waste such as chemicals, batteries and sharps visit our Right Waste, Right Place page.
- Sharp objects
- Dangerous chemicals
- Gas bottles
- Fire extinguishers
- Batteries (including car batteries)
- Shattered glass
- Plate glass
- Paint (including empty tins)
- House/ pool cleaners
- Other similar items
How to book a bulky waste collection
Before booking a bulky waste collection, please consider finding a new home for your unwanted items. Items in good condition can be donated to a charity or sold in a local used goods community network.
Bulky waste collections can be booked online at The Waste Spot. A collection must be booked before your bulky items are placed at the kerbside* and should only be placed out the night before your scheduled collection date**.
Please make sure you have selected all waste types relevant for your collection (e.g. garden waste, whitegoods). If you need to make a change or add a waste type, this must be done five business days prior to your collection date at the latest. This allows Council to schedule the correct vehicles for your collection to ensure items can be sent to the correct resource recovery facility.
If you need to cancel a bulky waste collection, please contact Council at least two business days prior to the scheduled collection date. If a collection is cancelled within one business day of the collection date, it will be deducted from the household's annual allocation.
Always ensure you have read and understand the Terms and Conditions before booking a collection.
Booking a bulky waste collection can be done online through The Waste Spot at your convenience. To make a booking over the phone, please call 4732 7777 from Monday to Friday between 8:30am-4pm (excluding public holidays).
Translation Service: 131 450.
*If you live in a unit complex with a bulky waste bay or room, items should be placed in the bay or room for collection no earlier than the night before your scheduled collection date.
**Putting bulky waste items out at the kerbside without booking a bulky waste collection is illegal and individuals can face up to $2,000 in illegal dumping fines.
How to present items for collection
The night before your scheduled collection date, place your items at the kerbside directly in front of your property*. The items for collection must fit within two cubic metres (roughly the same carrying capacity of a standard box trailer) and must not obstruct footpaths, walkways or disrupt pedestrian traffic.
Any mattresses, whitegoods/metals and garden vegetation should be placed in separate piles, with like-items grouped together as these are collected by separate trucks to make sure that wherever possible, valuable materials are sent to the correct recovery facility for recycling.
For larger amounts of bulky waste, multiple collections can be booked at the same time.
Please note: If a collection is oversized without booking additional collections, penalties may apply.
*If you live in a unit complex with a bulky waste bay or room, items should be placed inside the bay or room rather than at the kerbside for collection.
Terms and conditions
- Households with a domestic waste service are entitled to four bulky waste collections per year. These entitlements reset annually on 1 January.
- Each collection must be no more than two cubic metres in size. Multiple bookings can be made at the same time for larger collections. Items must not obstruct footpaths, walkways or disrupt pedestrian traffic.
- Collections must contain accepted items only. The inclusion of any items that are not accepted may result in individual penalties or fines.
- Items for collection must only be placed at the kerbside or in a unit complex’s designated bulky waste bay/room the night before the scheduled collection date. Putting bulky waste items out at the kerbside without booking a bulky waste collection is illegal and individuals can face up to $2,000 in illegal dumping fines.
- All changes and additional waste types must be added to a collection five business days at the latest prior to a collection date. Council must be notified five business days at the latest prior to a scheduled collection of the changes made.
- Cancellations to bookings must be made at least two business days prior to the scheduled collection date. If a collection is cancelled within one business day of the collection date, it will be deducted from the household's annual allocation.