Traineeships and Work Experience
- Written by Adam Gatt Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 email@example.com https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
Combining on-the-job experience and study towards a nationally recognised qualification, our Annual Traineeship Program offers positions in Business Administration, Children’s Services and Information Technology.
How to apply and Eligibility
Council’s Traineeship Program in Business Administration, Children’s Services and Information Technology are advertised annually.
Applications for 2020 Traineeship have closed.
Applications for 2021 Traineeship will be advertised later in the year. Applicants will need to visit our Current Opportunities page to apply.
To be eligible for a traineeship, applicants must:
- Not hold a Certificate III or IV in any field completed in the last 7 years, and/or Diploma qualification and above in any field of any date
- Have the ability to work in Australia (if applicable, visa information is required)
For further information about the position please contact Peta Weiss on 4732-7777.
Our Business Administration traineeships are offered in a range of departments at Council. You’ll take care of general office duties and tasks specific to the department while studying a Certificate III in Business Administration once a month at Nepean TAFE.
Traineeships are offered in a range of areas each year, including People and Culture, Finance, Asset Management, City Futures, Environmental Health and Compliance, Design and Projects, and Governance.
Trainees will be placed in one of our quality local Children’s Services Centres and attend formal training with TAFE to gain a Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care. Trainees will gain hands on experience in a demanding but very rewarding career path.
Our Information Technology department provides PC support to hundreds of Civic Centre and off-site Council staff. This Trainee will gain on-the-job IT experience, develop communication and diagnostic skills, whilst studying at TAFE to attain a Certificate III in Information, Digital Media.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Traineeships
Each year, we offer a number of positions within our traineeship program to applicants who identify of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island background.
Traineeships will be offered to people of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background – exemption granted under section 126 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977.
Professional Specialist Traineeships
Council offers a range of Professional Specialist traineeships in areas including Engineering, Planning and Library Services to applicants studying in their field.
Employed for the length of their degree, successful applicants have access to a range of study leave options to balance study and full-time employment. In addition, university tuition fees are paid for, under Council’s Educational Assistance Policy.
Visit our Current Opportunities page to apply for positions vacant
What we offer
Our work experience program offers experience in a 'real-life' work environment for students (Years 10-12, TAFE, University or College). Due to the large number of requests Council receives for work experience, our program is aimed at students currently studying only. The program offers unpaid developmental opportunities for students studying in a chosen field relevant to the work of Council. Options include:
- Building Approvals/Surveying
- Business Administration
- Children’s Services
- Civil Construction
- Environmental Health
- Finance (unavailable between June and September)
- Human Resources
- Information and Communications Technology
- Information Management (Records)
- Town Planning
Placements depend on the host department's requirements and availability at a given time. Work placements are limited to 1 week in most areas, However if it is a course requirement for set hours please submit your request and we will determine if it can be accommodated. Please note we cannot guarantee any work placements. If we are unable to accommodate an applicant we will contact them as soon as possible.
Due to the large number of requests, please allow 4 weeks for a response.
All placements must be organised and approved through Council's People and Culture Department.
Am I eligible?
You can apply if you:
- are a student currently studying (high school - Years 10, 11 or 12, TAFE, university or college) and
- can provide insurance coverage (certificate of currency for Public Liability & Personal Injury insurance) from your place of study.
Additional requirements for specific Council service areas:
Building Approvals/Surveying, Civil Construction, Horticulture, Metals & Mechanics and Town Planning: A Work Health Safety (WHS) White Card before placement. You must wear steel-capped boots on site.
Civil Engineering work placements: Council currently coordinates with various universities to offer placement opportunities. Students must be in at least the third year of a related Engineering degree at University and have:
- a valid driver's licence
- WHS White Card
- knowledge of survey practices and CAD
- Availability of 4-5 days a week (Monday to Friday)
Early Childhood Education: Council's Children's Services Department offers industry placement in numerous locations across the Penrith Local Government Area. A Working with Children Check will be conducted before placement for any student 18 years and over.
How to apply
To apply, please use the link below to complete the online application form. Please be prepared when completing the application form with the following information including:
- phone number and email address
- type of placement, including details of what you want to learn and experience in your placement
- length of placement required
- specific dates requested
- your availability (e.g. Monday to Friday)
- insurance cover details
- any additional information, such as any reasonable adjustment to the workplace you require
Please click here to be redirected to our careers website to apply for Work Experience. You can apply for Work Experience between the following dates:
- Apply between 8-31 March 2021, to request a placement in April, May or June 2021
- Apply between 1 July – 30 July 2021, for a placement in August, September, October or November 2021.
Our Work Experience Program is closed during the months of December and January.
Please note: we require students to provide 4 weeks’ notice of their intended placement. Last minute applications will not be accepted.
This allows us to consider all applications and make every attempt to place students in their preferred areas. Please note: we cannot guarantee any work placements.