Information and advice about COVID-19

Information and advice about COVID-19

Civic Centrecovid safe badge digital 1

The Penrith Civic Centre is currently open for visitors and a range of limited services are available, including:

  • Rates – payments, receipts, change of name/address
  • Children’s Services – payment of fees
  • Tree enquiries – removal application, payments, receipts
  • Swimming pools – inspection bookings, payments
  • Animal services – registration, change of ownership, payments, receipts
  • Asset management – driveway applications, payments, receipts
  • Waste services – Council’s compostable green bag collection

Your safety is our priority and you will notice we have instigated automatic temperature checks, contact detail registration via the Service NSW app (QR code available), installed screens at our service counters, 1.5 metre markers and hand sanitiser throughout the centre. Visitors to the Civic Centre are required to wear their own masks or a face shield if they are unable to wear a mask.

Where payment is required our preferred option is for cashless transactions.

If you are unwell, we ask that you please stay home. Council Services are also available online at, see below for further information.

Online Services 

Online Services are available to access 24/7. This allows residents to report problems and lodge requests online at a time that’s convenient to them. Our online services cover services such as bins and waste, parks, building and venues, roads and footpaths, trees and vegetation. Click here to access Online Services.

Our Facilities

The following Council facilities are open to the public: playgrounds, dog parks, fitness equipment, BBQs, basketball facilities, skate parks, tennis courts, cricket nets and the Tench Reserve boat ramp.

Ripples Leisure Centre
Ripples Leisure Centre is open to the public with COVID-19 safety measures in place. This includes the collection of contact details for visitors (via the Service NSW app) and social distancing to name a few. To find out more about Ripples, visit their website

Library branches
Penrith, St Marys and St Clair Library are all open to the public with COVID-19 safety measures in place including temperature checks upon arrival, the collection of contact details for visitors (via the Service NSW app) and social distancing. Masks or face shields are to be worn by visitors aged over 12. Returned items will be taken out of circulation for 72 hours before returning to shelves and each facility is completing regular cleaning. The library branches have new permanent operating hours:

Penrith and St Marys Library
Monday to Thursday –  9am to 8pm
Friday to Saturday – 9am to 5pm
Sunday – 10am to 5pm

St Clair Library
Monday to Thursday –  9.30am to 5pm
Friday to Saturday –  9am to 1pm
Sunday – Closed

For further information, visit our Library webpage.

Childcare Centres
Council-operated Childcare Centres are open with COVID-19 safety measures in place. For further information on our Childcare Centres, visit our webpage.

Community Centres

Our Community Centres are open for regular hirers only. Council is liaising with regular hirers to request completion of a COVID-19 Safety Management Plan for their activities before commencement. 
It's important that we continue to:

  • follow the NSW rules for gatherings that apply to individuals and businesses
  • maintain a physical distance of at least 1.5 metres from others
  • practice good hand hygiene
  • take extra care if you're around vulnerable people
  • get tested if you have any symptoms, even if they are only mild
  • stay home until you get a negative result or are medically cleared.

Temperature Checks, Masks and Registration

Council has introduced temperature checks and the collection of contact details (via the Service NSW app) for all visitors to our buildings and facilities to complement the other safety measure in place. In addition, all visitors over the age of 12 who visit the Civic Centre or a Council library are requested to wear a mask or face shield for the duration of their visit.

When visiting the Civic Centre or Council library your temperature will be checked using an automated contactless thermometer unit prior to entry to the building or Council facility. If you or someone in your party records a temperature above 37.5 degrees, you must: 

  • move aside from the temperature check queue to ensure you are socially distanced and not putting others at risk.
  • wait at least 2 minutes and then re-test your temperature. It is recommended that you wait 5 minutes to allow for any environmental factors that may have influenced your first temperature reading.  
  • if you record a second high temperature you will not be granted access to the Council facility.
  • if you are concerned about the second high temperature reading, it is recommended that you visit your doctor for further advice.

Upon entry all visitors must register their visit via the Service NSW app. A QR code is provided at the entry of all buildings for ease of registration.



Busking is available to people who have registered for a permit, busking permits are available here. To ensure everyone’s safety, it’s the registered busker’s responsibility to manage crowds in line with NSW Health restrictions. Audiences must adhere to social distancing by keeping 1.5 metre distance between people, the practice of good hand hygiene is recommended. For more information around busking during COVID-19, please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Council Services

Many of Council’s services are operating as normal but if you are unsure or would like further information, please contact Council via Online Services or call our Customer Experience team on: (02) 4732 7777.


Council has re-commenced events that can be delivered in adherence to advice from the NSW and Australian government. 

Where possible, events that can be rescheduled will be moved to another date when the pandemic has been contained and it is safe to do so. Regrettably, there are a small number of events that will be cancelled and invitees notified.

Future events will be monitored and a decision made on their ability to proceed using the latest information available from government and health authorities.

What is Council Doing to Help?

Council has established two new taskforces that are overseen by Penrith Mayor Karen McKeown OAM to guide Penrith City on its road to recovery, in the wake of COVID-19.

Penrith’s Deputy Mayor, Cr Tricia Hitchen, is the chair of the Community Recovery Taskforce, which is focused on fostering connection and positioning community services to meet the changing needs of Penrith’s population.

Cr Ross Fowler OAM is the chair of the Economic Recovery Taskforce which is focused on jobs and ensuring businesses and employers in Penrith are enabled to thrive.

Council has also provided more than half a million dollars in immediate relief to local businesses over the past few months, waived hire fees for sporting groups and fees and charges for outdoor and footpath dining permits across our CBD. Assistance has also been provided for property owners, both commercial and residential who are experiencing financial hardship across our City. Partnerships with other organisations and groups have meant we can deliver direct services and support to some of the City’s most vulnerable residents.

Supporting Council Staff
Council has a small number of staff working in customer-facing roles to ensure our services continue to be delivered to residents and the community. All customer-facing staff are required to wear either a mask or face shield and to perform their duties behind the installed screen (some roles such as child educators are exempt from wearing a mask as it will limit their ability to perform their role, in these situations social distancing, hand-washing and sanitisation are increased to assist in keeping our staff and the community safe).

All other staff have been transitioned to working remotely. This is to ensure that Council is doing its bit to minimise community transmission to keep both our staff and the community safe.

Health information and advice 

COVID-19 is a respiratory illness caused by a new coronavirus. The virus is highly contagious, but good hygiene can prevent infection. Read more about the virus on the NSW Health website.

There are a number of ways you can help slow the spread of the virus in our community including practising good hygiene and social distancing.

Good hygiene practices can help prevent the spread of this virus in our community. Good hygiene includes:

  • covering your coughs and sneezes with your elbow or a tissue
  • disposing of tissues properly
  • avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
  • washing your hands often with soap and water
  • using alcohol-based hand sanitisers
  • cleaning and disinfecting surfaces regularly
  • if you are sick, avoiding contact with others and staying more than 1.5 metres away from people.

Read more about basic protective measures from the World Health Organization.

Another way to slow the spread of viruses is through social distancing. This means:

  • staying at home when you are unwell
  • avoiding large public gatherings if they’re not essential
  • keeping a distance of 1.5 metres between you and other people whenever possible
  • minimising physical contact (including shaking hands) especially with people at higher risk, such as older people and people with existing health conditions.

Symptoms can include fever, coughing, sore throat, fatigue, and shortness of breath. If you are sick and think you have symptoms of COVID-19 seek medical attention. If you want to talk to someone about your symptoms first, call the Coronavirus Health Information Line for advice on 1800 020 080. If you require translating or interpreting services, call 131 450.

If you develop symptoms within 14 days of last contact with a confirmed case or after returning to Australia from overseas, you should seek medical attention. Your doctor will tell you if you need to be tested. If you have a confirmed case, you will need to self-isolate for 14 days to prevent it spreading to other people.