Community Recycling Centre
- Written by Adam Gatt Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 firstname.lastname@example.org https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
Penrith City Council's Community Recycling Centre (CRC) opened on 20 July 2017. It provides the community with a free and convenient way to dispose of problem waste in an environmentally friendly way.
The CRC is located at:
The CRC is also closed on public holidays.
What is problem waste?
Problem waste includes items such as paints, batteries, light bulbs, gas bottles and oils that you can’t dispose of in your household bins or in a bulky waste collection. To learn more about problem waste, visit Problem Waste
What items can be disposed of at the CRC?
Residents are able to dispose of the following waste items for free at the CRC:
Oil based paint
Water based paint
Fluorescent globes and tubes
Electronic waste - computers and televisions
Motor and other oils
- Our CRC will not accept coloured or dirty polystyrene and small polystyrene fragments like bean bag filling or foam packing peanuts. The CRC accepts foam packaging that is bigger than the size of a foam packing peanut. Please ensure to remove any dirt, dust, sticky tape, labels, cardboard or plastic before dropping off clean and plain white polystyrene to the CRC.
- Our CRC also accepts additional, household electronic items such as:
- computers and related products, including floppy discs, hard drives, keyboards, monitors, mice, networking equipment, notebook
- cameras, video camera
- CD drive
- clock radio
- electric blanket
- electrical power tool
- electronic games/toy
- fax machine
- grooming device
- discman, iPads, iPods, mp3 player
- juicers and mixer
- personal electrical device
- printers and printer cartridge
- TVs and related products including DVD players and VCR players
- Only household quantities of the above materials will be accepted. As a guide, a maximum container of 20 litres or 20 kilograms for each of the wasted listed above. Up to 100L of paint is accepted.
- General household rubbish or bulky household waste (such as furniture and green waste) will not be accepted at the CRC.
Storing and transporting your problem waste
Please handle and transport your materials carefully and safely. Protect your vehicle by placing items on a protective sheet or tray in the boot to capture any leakages or breakages.
Here are some helpful tips when transporting materials to the CRC:
- Never mix chemicals as this may produce dangerous reactions.
- Wherever possible keep all chemicals in their original containers.
- Ensure containers are clearly labelled and well-sealed. If you do not know the contents, label the container 'unknown chemical'.
- Liquid can leak during transport. Wrap containers holding liquids securely in newspaper, place in sturdy plastic bags and then in plastic buckets or trays.
- Keep household chemicals away from passengers by placing them in the boot of your car.
The CRC facilitates the reprocessing and reuse of these materials and prevents them from entering landfill. By sorting your waste and taking it to your local CRC, you will:
- Help improve recycling rates;
- Save water, energy and other valuable natural resources
- Protect the environment.
This is a NSW EPA Waste Less, Recycle More initiative funded from the waste levy. Visit www.epa.nsw.gov.au