Roads, Paths, Driveways and Council Reserves

Roads, Paths, Driveways and Council Reserves

Council is responsible for local roads, and most street and car park signs.

Report a problem

To report a problem to Council, including potholes or damaged footpaths, call 4732 7777 or fill in our pothole reporting form.

We work with a range of local and regional organisations as well as the Roads and Maritime Services and NSW Police to improve safety and awareness on our roads - see road safety or contact our Road Safety Officer on 4732 7556.

Major roads including the M4, Great Western Highway, Cranebrook Road, Elizabeth Drive, Erskine Park Road, Mamre Road and Mulgoa Road are the responsibility of the state rather than Council - including traffic signals, school zone and 50km/h signs and regulatory signs - visit Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) or phone 131 700 (RMS Road Maintenance Hotline).

  • road and traffic issues - visit the live traffic website for up to date information.
  • suggest a speed limit change or a location that needs a speed camera - visit Safer Roads NSW.
  • broken pit lids (rectangular pits) in nature strip/footpath area contact Telstra on 132 203 or visit the Telstra website.
  • water coming up under pressure from a nature strip or road surface, or water constantly on a nature strip/footpath /road when no rain - contact Sydney Water 132 090 or visit Sydney Water.
  • sewer main line/pit damaged/leaking in nature strip/footpath/roadway or private property - contact Sydney Water on 132 090.
  • street lights out - contact Integral Energy on 131 003.

See what roads and paths Council is planning to build or improve in the coming year in our Delivery Program 2017-21 (pdf 8.5MB). A safe and convenient road and pathway network is a high priority for Council and our community. Our annual programs and budgets include maintenance work and new projects.

Road Reserve Diagram

Are you planning to build a driveway or carry out other works near the roadside? Works in the space between a road and private property – known as the road reserve - must be approved by Council before work starts and evaluated by Council on completion. Permits should be applied for well in advance and permission must be granted before works start to avoid fines. 

The kinds of work you may require permission for include: 

  • Driveway construction applications should be made using the online Driveway Application Form. You should start your application by clicking on the 'Submit application' button on the left hand side.
  • An Infrastructure Restoration Bond is needed to make sure any surface restorations to public land can be carried out if required
  • Work Zone Application should be made by contractors to ensure that parking and loading spaces for a site do not effect public access around the space. 
  • Footpath Hoarding-Tower Application should be made when temporary hoarding, scaffolding or fencing needs to be erected over a public footpath or other work on their property. This is to ensure there is a safe way for other people using the street. It is also required when the installation of a tower crane on a private development site requires swing movements over Council owned land.

You may also require the Refund or Cash Bond or Bank Guarantee and/or the Application for Refund or the Temporary Road Reserve Occupancy Application Form.

Note: when carrying out work in, on, or over a public road, a person must ensure they are compliant with Section 138 of the NSW Roads Act 1993 with regards to obtaining consent from the appropriate authorities.

For more information please read the Frequently Asked Questions below.

Penrith City Council is now accepting Road Reserve Opening permit applications online. By starting at Dial Before You Dig (DBYD), you will be guided through making your application and be able to see the status of all your requests all in one place. You can also print step by step instructions to apply for a road reserve opening permit online.

Log your DBYD request. If your dig site falls within a Penrith City Council Road Reserve, a permit application will be generated.

This Dial Before You Dig step-by-step guide can assist with the process.

After submitting your DBYD application, you will receive an email prompting you to create a new permit application. Fill out the information required online, and then submit.

Once you submit your permit application, Penrith City Council will see that it is awaiting review.

If you’re not sure that you have submitted your application, or what stage of progress you are at, you can click ‘View Permits’ button on the DBYD dashboard. This will take you into PermitMonitor which will allow you to view, modify and check the status of your permit requests. You will then see the progress of your application, along with any other applications you have made and notifications from infrastructure owners. If you’re still unsure, you can contact Council to find out more.

Your permit request and all associated documents, such as a Road Closure Form, will be reviewed by Council. We may request additional documentation by messaging you through PermitMonitor. Each time additional documentation is requested through the messaging function you will be notified by email to your registered DBYD email address.

The Council will supply conditions for the application. These need to be downloaded and agreed to as part of your process. You will see if you have conditions under the Documents tab.

Council will send a payment form to you through PermitMonitor. This payment form can be emailed to Council or you can pay at one of our offices. Payment is the last step in the process before the permit is approved.

You will receive an email notifying you of the outcome of your Road Reserve Opening permit application.

Once the request is approved you will need to change the status of your works from ‘Pending’ to ‘Works In Progress’, and finally to ‘Works Completed’.

During this process you will be asked to confirm the actual start and end date of the works. If either of these dates differ from the original approved dates, a reason will need to be provided to Council via the popup window that appears.

After works are completed, the Council will inspect your work site and will either Pass or Fail the site. If your site passes the inspection, the permit will commence the Warranty period for the Council.

If your worksite has failed the inspection, the status will change the status to ‘Needs Remedial Action’ and you will be messaged to be advised of this, along with the date by which remediation must be completed. The Council will re-inspect and move to ‘Warranty’ when remediation is complete and passed inspection. Once the warranty period has expired your job will be closed by the Council.

A Road Reserve Opening Permit is used to apply for a permit to carry out any intrusive digging in the public road or footpath (footpath/nature strip/kerb and gutter/roadway). This work may include stormwater or sewer connection works, installation, maintenance, repairs/replacing or upgrading of utilities (eg. water, gas or electricity); temporary access to premises for construction works or upgrading the road, kerb and gutter associated with a development approved by Penrith City Council.

Penrith City Council is now accepting Road Reserve Opening permit applications online. By starting at Dial Before You Dig (DBYD), you will be guided through making your application and be able to see the status of all your requests in one place.

step by step guide is available for download.

If the work you undertake will affect Penrith City Council's road reserve, footpath, road, nature strip, kerb, gutter, or kerb inlet pit a Road Reserve Opening Permit is required. A road reserve is an area within which facilities such as roads, footpaths, and associated features may be constructed for public travel. It is the total area between boundaries.

Restoration Bonds may be refunded upon satisfactory completion of the restoration to Council's specifications and a maintenance period of 12 months from practical completion has expired. Restoration Bonds must be claimed within two (2) years of lodgement of this applications.

When an application for a refund of bond is lodged all works are inspected by Penrith City Council's Restoration Officer. If corrective action is needed, work will need to be carried out until the restoration conditions are satisfied.

If you’re not sure you have submitted your application, or what stage of progress you are at, log in to PermitMonitor and click the ‘View Permits’ button to view, modify and check the status of your permit.

You will receive advice of approval from Penrith City Council's Restoration Officer. No works should start before this.

If Penrith City Council complete the restoration work, it is a fee. If you select to complete the restoration work, it is a bond.

The bond will be calculated from the Road Reserve Opening Permit application.

Yes, you must adhere to the specifications on the Engineering Constructions Specifications for Civil Works document.

These adaptors and dimensions meet Penrith city councils specifications:
Example of an AK2X barrierx for existing restoration

Adaptors used for existing restorations when the kerb just need to be cut. These kerb adapters are a little bit shorter allowing for the 10mm from bottom of kerb allowance. Best practice would be to fill void either side of adaptor with construction render or cement to match existing kerb finish.  Examples include model Ak2x.


  • Top Length: 150mm    
  • Base Length: 170mm
  • Height: 130mm


Example of an AK2Z barrier for new works



Adaptors used for new works or full kerb restoration and will fit into form work.  Examples include Ak2z.


  • Top Length: 150mm   
  • Base Length: 180mm
  • Height: 150mm



Adaptors for new subdivisions can onExample of an Ak4 rolltop kerb for new subdivisionsly be used that have a high profile back of rolled kerb. Examples include Ak4.


  • Top Length: R300
  • Base Length: 300 mm
  • Height: 100 mm

Drive construction applications should be made using the Online Driveway Application Form. You should start your application by clicking on the 'Submit application' button on the left hand side. Please note the detailed requirements for a driveway or vehicle crossover in the Vehicle Crossover Specifications Guidelines.

Online Driveway Application Form

Driveway Construction FAQs

Driveway construction involves the building or reconstruction of a dedicated access to a private property between the road and property boundary.

A driveway is the structure or surface that provides vehicle access between the road and a private property. The space between the road and your property is called a road reserve. All driveways fall on a road reserve.

A road reserve is an area within which facilities such as roads, footpaths and associated features may be constructed for public travel. This space is property of the Council and not privately owned. It is the Council’s responsibility to review plans that may encroach on this space so current and future works are not affected. This may include road widenings, installation of drainage systems and footpath construction.

Yes, all driveway constructions and reconstructions require Council permission. This is because your plans may effect essential services or other aspects of infrastructure.

Driveway construction applications should be made using the Online Driveway Application Form. You should start your application by clicking on the 'Submit application' button on the left hand side.

Online Driveway Application Form

Current application charges are as follows:

  • Residential (house) - $212 per driveway
  • Medium density (units, townhouses) - $371 per driveway
  • Commercial or industrial - $371 per driveway

After you submit an application:

  1. Council will consider your application
  2. Council will then contact you and provide a receipt number. The receipt is acknowledgement we have received your application and is your reference for future communications with Council.
  3. You should call Council to make a booking with the Infrastructure Officer to visit and inspect the site. They will check formwork on the site before the concrete is poured.
  4. You will receive either approval to build or advice as to how to make the building site compliant for building.
  5. Once approved, you can pour concrete for your driveway.
  6. Two (2) weeks after completion the Infrastructure Officer will make a final inspection to ensure the changes have been made as per your application and to Council requirements.

It is your responsibility to call Dial Before You Dig on 1100 for the location of services belonging to authorities other than the Council. This service is free and intended to prevent damage to underground infrastructure. Please note this service is not provided by Council.

Residential driveways are minimum three (3) metres wide and maximum six (6) metres, unless a Development Control Plan requirement states otherwise e.g. Caddens and Jordan Springs have a maximum width of 4.5 metres.

The Penrith City Council Infrastructure Officer will make an assessment on submission of the application.

In new development areas like Jordan Springs, Waterside, Mulgoa Rise, Glenmore Park Stage 2, plain concrete is required. In other areas, coloured and stencilled crossover is permitted.

For trees within Council's road reserve, a street tree removal request must be submitted and this will incur additional fees and charges. To learn more about removing or pruning trees on both private and public property, visit our Trees page for further information.

The Infrastructure Restoration Bond is needed to help minimise the likelihood of damaging Council Property as a result of development works being carried out. The bond allows Council to make sure the damage to public assets can be repaired.

The Infrastructure Restoration Bond is a refundable bond applied as a condition of a Development Application or requirement of a Complying Developer under Clause 136M of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation. The bond is used to help minimise the likelihood of damaging Council property as a result of development works being carried out. The bond allows Council to make sure the damage to public assets can be repaired.

It is payable prior to the issue of a Construction Certificate and any site works starting and is a guarantee to protect Council's kerbing, footpaths and verges/landscaped areas. The bond may be used to repair or reinstate any damage that occurs during development works. It also gives Council a chance to monitor the worksite for any illegal activities that occur within the road reserve. Any works carried out without approval may result in the bond being withheld by Council.

The bond is used to make a final inspection after notification of completion of works covered by Development Application or Complying Development and an Occupational Certificate has been issued.

In this case, infrastructure is Council's assets within a road reserve. This may include footpaths, services and associated features that may be constructed for public travel. A road reserve is between the boundary of your property and the road.

After a final Occupation Certificate has been issued, please fill out the Refund or Cash Bond or Bank Guarantee and/or the Application for Refund. Refunds can take up to four weeks after form lodgement depending on the outcome of the final assessment.

If damage is not recorded and submitted on the original form or Council has not been notified of the damage during construction, it is the applicant's responsibility to make the repairs to the Penrith City Council specifications. These are available through the Engineering Construction Specification for Civil Works.

Select minor Residential works up to $100,000 – $500 (swimming pools, sheds, car ports, awnings, retaining walls, minor house extensions and renovations only).

Residential building works under $500,000 – $2,500 (including single dwelling construction, granny flats, demolitions, major excavations over 1m deep, major house extensions and renovations).

Residential building works (excluding medium/high density residential) > $500,000 – 0.5% of the value of works. Minimum bond $2,500.

Development Bond up to value $500,000 (including commercial, industrial, subdivision, medium/high density residential) – $5,000.

Development Bond > $500,000 (including commercial, industrial, subdivision, medium/high density residential) is calculated at 1% of the value of works. The minimum bond amount is $5,000, the maximum bond amount is $100,000.

At Development Application/Complying Development Certificate application stage an Infrastructure Restoration Fee of $266 should have been paid. This fee is non-refundable.

Take a picture and send it to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., addressed to the Infrastructure Officer. It will be assessed and noted against your reports.

It is between the owner and the builder to determine who pays the bond.

A Works Zone is a dedicated right of access and parking allocation on a public road outside a development. This guarantees any contractors working at this site have parking within a close proximity to the site.

Works zones are spaces at construction sites to keep the kerbside clear of parked vehicles and create access for heavy plant and vehicles delivering or removing materials. This also allows us to notify residents where access may be interrupted and ensure there are safe alternatives for traffic and pedestrians.

This will depend on the size of the construction and the construction location. You should contact the Penrith City Council Infrastructure Officer on 4732 7777 well before your works start to check what you need to do.

Please download the Work Zone Permit Application Form or visit Penrith Civic Centre.

You need to submit a Work Zone Permit Application Form and wait for an assessment from a Penrith City Council Infrastructure Officer. Approval can take up to six (6) weeks to receive or longer if Local Traffic Committee approval is required. After approval all quoted fees need to be paid before signage installation. This may take up to ten (10) business days after payment has been received.

You will receive a quote of costs after your application is assessed. You will be contacted by a Penrith City Council Infrastructure Officer with a quote for your work zone.

If an unauthorised vehicle is parked in your work zone, contact Penrith City Council Rangers on 4732 7777.

A work zone is only to be used for site parking and loading a truck or vehicle.

Vehicle Access to Council Reserve

Do you require temporary access via a Council reserve for non-recreational purposes such as works within the Council reserve or access through a Council reserve to an adjacent property for works and/or deliveries? If so, you will need to apply for a permit by completing this application form and paying the required application fee.

Once the application has been assessed,  a Council officer will then contact you. If you have any questions please call Council’s Parks and Open Space Officer on 02 4732 7777.