- Written by Teela Griffin Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 firstname.lastname@example.org https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
About the video series
Penrith City Council has created a new online video series titled Empowering Penrith to provide residents with hints and tips on how to reduce their energy consumption at home. The seven-part video series covers a range of useful and important topics to empower residents to upskill and update themselves with the latest energy-saving information and technologies.
Each video covers a different topic:
1. Solar power
2. Standby power
3. Understand your energy bills
4. Heating and cooling
5. Insulation and sealing
6. Hot water
7. House batteries
While each video is different, the desired outcome is the same. A few small, simple changes around the home can make a big difference to your bank balance, with the added incentive of helping the planet at the same time.
How to watch the videos
Use the sun to power your home, and save money at the same time.
Find an accredited retailer here: cleanenergycouncil.org.au/
|Standby power||Find out how you can save 10-15% off your energy bill with one simple switch.|
|Understand your energy bill||
Find out how you easily can negotiate a better electricity and gas contract with your current provider.
Compare and save here: energymadeeasy.gov.au
|Heating and cooling||The key to a comfortable home is heating and cooling, so find out how to do it right.|
|Insulation and sealing||A simple fix for ensuring all the nice cool or warm air stays inside your home where it belongs.|
|Hot water||Find out why an efficient hot water system is your first step to saving real money.|
Find out why a buying a battery for your solar system is a good investment.
Download the NSW Home Solar Battery Guide at: energysaver.nsw.gov.au
More hints and tips
- Borrow a free PowerMate Meter from the Penrith City Council Library. The Power-Mate enables households to identify and reduce energy costs by showing people how much their appliances cost to run. For enquiries about loans contact Penrith City Library on 4732 7891.
- When you do use your air conditioner, the temperature you have it set on makes a big difference to how much energy you use. Setting it to 23C or higher is ideal. Each degree lower can add 10% to the running cost.
- Close off some of the house. It doesn’t make sense to cool or heat a room no one is using.
Government programs and subsidies
The NSW Government has a program that helps some residents upgrade to more efficient appliances like fridges and televisions, which helps reduce your electricity bills. Conditions apply – find out more on the Office of Environment and Heritage webpage.
There are some rebates and assistance available for your electricity bills. Find out what the NSW Government offers and if you’re eligible at the Resource & Energy website.