Wharf precinct to further enhance Nepean River
- Written by Adam Gatt Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 email@example.com https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
Tuesday, 12 February 2019
The Penrith community will soon enjoy an even greater selection of vibrant green spaces and recreational facilities along the banks of the Nepean River, including a new wharf precinct at Tench Reserve.
Council has been talking with the Penrith community about the enhancements since 2013 and welcomed the State Government's recent $10 million funding announcement to deliver these central elements of the Our River Masterplan.
Penrith Mayor Ross Fowler OAM said the funding boost will see a new wharf precinct replace the old boat ramp at Tench Reserve; as well as providing upgraded play areas and enhanced facilities along the river.
"The funding for a new wharf precinct will transform one of the river's best vantage points with better pedestrian access and a new promenade that makes the otherwise steep slopes of the river completely accessible," said Cr Fowler.
"These extensive upgrades will improve access to the river and allow even more residents and visitors to experience one of the region's most significant natural assets," Cr Fowler said.
The announcement follows $15 million in government funding recently secured by Council under the Western Sydney City Deal's Liveability Program, for upgrades to Regatta Park. Council will also contribute $9 million to the Regatta Park project.
Last year, almost $6 million was committed by the State and Federal Government to provide a new three-lane boat ramp and additional trailer parking facilities at Tench Reserve, with this work scheduled for completion by mid-2019.
"Delivering these enhancements along the Nepean River is a direct result of Council's advocacy work and the strength of the community's vision expressed in the Our River Masterplan," Cr Fowler said.
Visit the Our River Project page more information.
Information contained within this news release was correct as at Tuesday, 12 February 2019.