Delivery of Gipps Street Recreation Precinct Masterplan One Step Closer
- Written by Teela Griffin Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 email@example.com https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
Tuesday, 16 November 2021
Penrith City Council today announced the issue of a Request for Tender for the construction of the Gipps Street Recreation Precinct, located in Claremont Meadows along South Creek.
This milestone brings Council’s long-range strategy to transform the former waste facility site into a landmark sport and recreation destination one step closer.
Council is seeking a qualified construction company to undertake the remaining remediation, construction, landscaping, and installation work required to bring the Masterplan to life. The tender is available on the NSW Government e-tendering website.
When complete, the 32-hectare Gipps Street Recreation Precinct will incorporate both active and passive sport and recreational space, including:
- Floodlit sports fields.
- Inclusive children’s play, water play, and nature play areas, including shade.
- Youth precinct, including floodlit skate park, pump track and multi-sport courts.
- Netball courts and cricket practice facilities.
- Outdoor health and fitness gym.
- Off leash dog park.
- Pedestrian connections, including walking loops and nature trail.
- Passive recreation, picnic and viewing areas, including barbeques, shelters and public art.
- Tree planting and landscaping.
- Amenities including canteen, accessible toilets and changerooms.
- Car parking, including accessible spaces and coach drop off/parking.
To learn more about the Gipps Street Recreation Precinct Masterplan, please visit: http://www.yoursaypenrith.com.au/gippsstrecreationprecinct
Council’s 2020 Sport & Recreation Strategy, which forms the 15-year road map for the future provision of sport, play, recreation and open space facilities across our City, helped create the vision for the Gipps Street Recreation Precinct Masterplan.
In May-June 2020, Council undertook community consultation to seek feedback. The Masterplan was then adopted by Council in July 2020. A further community co-design workshop and online engagement was also undertaken
in March 2021 to help inform the detailed design for the Youth Precinct, which includes the City's first pump track.
Council will keep the community informed as the next exciting steps are taken in 2022. The Gipps Street Recreation Precinct is expected to be complete in approximately late 2023.
Information contained within this news release was correct as at Tuesday, 16 November 2021.