Call for community reps for local planning panel
- Written by Julie Campbell Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 email@example.com https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
Tuesday, 5 December 2017
We are looking for local residents interested in being a community representative on a new Penrith local planning panel, to help determine certain applications for local development.
Under recent changes to the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, Local Planning Panels will become mandatory for all Sydney councils including Penrith from 1 March 2018. Panels will consist of 3 independent expert members and a community representative from each ward who will assess development applications of high value, sensitivity or strategic importance in the ward they represent.
Positions on the panel are paid part-time roles, with remuneration rates still be determined by the NSW Government. Appointments are for a period of up to three years, and the NSW Department of Planning and Environment will provide training for panel members in February 2018.Councillors, property developers and real estate agents are not eligible to apply.
The criteria which must be met for membership on the Penrith Planning Panel include:
- being a current resident of the Penrith LGA
- having knowledge and awareness of the LGA and issues of concern to the local community
- a demonstrated understanding of the planning process and assessment issues
- being able to represent and communicate the interests of the local community
- being able to attend panel meetings and contribute constructively to the determination of applications, and
- being willing to adhere to the Panel’s code of conduct and operational procedures.
Interested residents can apply at careers.penrith.city until Sunday 10 December 2017. For more information about Local Planning Panels visit planning.nsw.gov.au or contact Glenn McCarthy on 4732 7649.
Information contained within this news release was correct as at Tuesday, 5 December 2017.