Community feedback invited on draft Cultural Strategy and Action Plan
- Written by: Teela Griffin Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 email@example.com https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
Sunday, 17 December 2023
Penrith City Council is inviting the community to share their feedback on the draft Cultural Strategy and Action Plan 2024-28, We Create Penrith, which is on exhibition until 29 February 2024.
Through community consultation, Council found that across Penrith:
• Residents are keen to experience and learn about First Nations cultures and our multicultural communities.
• Residents want more accessible opportunities to, not only consume, but actively participate in arts and culture, and to be creative themselves.
• Our artists often work in isolation, and there is interest in a more connected and collaborative arts community, with spaces for creatives to come together to share and learn.
• Local young artists and creatives need opportunities and development pathways.
• Arts and entertainment are a top reason for people to go out at night.
We Create Penrith addresses these issues and more. We Create Penrith builds on Penrith’s great cultural strengths and focuses resources to champion our stories, strengthen local connections and help build our future here together - both through the creation and consumption of arts and culture.
Penrith Mayor Todd Carney thanked the community for responding during community consultation and acknowledged that this feedback underpins the draft strategy.
“Council heard from residents, businesses, community groups, and artists when we asked them about the creative life they want for Penrith,” Cr Carney said.
“We received feedback that people want more opportunities to share culture, and to participate in arts and culture in different ways, from watching live music and interacting with public art, to creating art themselves.”
“Council has listened to this feedback and developed We Create Penrith, and now it’s time to check-in with the community to make sure we got it right.”
To view the draft strategy and share your feedback visit: yoursaypenrith.com.au/culturalstrategy
Penrith City Council social media tile for the draft Cultural Strategy and Action Plan.
Information contained within this news release was correct as at Sunday, 17 December 2023.