Intersection upgrade improves safety and traffic flow
- Written by Teela Griffin Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 email@example.com https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
Wednesday, 5 August 2020
Penrith City Council has completed significant road works to ensure safety and improve traffic flow at the intersection of The Northern Road and Derby Street, Penrith.
Funded by the Australian Government’s Local Roads Package, part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan (WSIP), the upgrade ensures traffic flow efficiency at the critical intersection that services Nepean Hospital and the surround health precinct.
Penrith Mayor Ross Fowler OAM said the upgrade has increased the traffic flow of the intersection making it easier to use.
“The upgrade to The Northern Road and Derby Street has brought immediate relief to the community who use the intersection to move about Penrith, but also to the users of the hospital and health precinct,” Cr Fowler said.
“The funding from the Australian Government has allowed Council to improve this high-volume intersection which has benefited from dedicated lanes on Derby Street to allow traffic to move across the street and also onto The Northern Road.”
“In the short time that these works have been completed Council has already received many favourable comments from residents and the community on the improved efficiency and effectiveness of the works,” Cr Fowler said.
- Work on the Northern Road – Derby Street intersection was completed in June and includes:
- new turning lanes on Derby Street by widening Derby Street at the intersection
- upgrade of the existing traffic lights
- relocation of public utilities
- new stormwater drainage system
- landscaping and new line marking
Photo caption: Penrith Mayor Ross Fowler OAM and Federal Member for Lindsay Melissa McIntosh inspect the completed upgrade to The Northern Road and Derby Street intersection.
Information contained within this news release was correct as at Wednesday, 5 August 2020.