Local Celebration Awards
- Written by: Teela Griffin Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 email@example.com https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
Penrith is home to many dedicated, selfless and inspirational people and Council’s new Local Celebration Awards are an opportunity for us to recognise and celebrate these people in our community.
ABOUT THE AWARDS
The Local Celebration Awards is a community awards program developed by Penrith City Council to recognise and celebrate the people who are making a difference in Penrith.
It doesn’t matter how big or small their act of kindness is or how young or old they are. We’re looking for people who make Penrith a special place to live and whose spirit of generosity has changed the lives of others.
Do you know someone who has made a positive impact by volunteering or who saves thousands of lives through regular blood donations? Do you know someone who has raised a lot of money for charity or has given up their time or possessions to help others?
Then we want to hear from you!
There are four categories to nominate in:
Citizen of the Year
This award recognises the person who has contributed most significantly to the City of Penrith, demonstrating commitment, involvement in activities and innovation that has led to the betterment of the people within the Penrith community. The recipient needs to be a Penrith resident, aged 18 or over.
Young Citizen of the Year
This is awarded to a young person aged 24 years or younger, who has contributed most significantly to the City of Penrith, providing outstanding community service and/or attaining outstanding achievement in academics, sport, arts, or charity work. The recipient needs to be a Penrith resident.
Mayor’s Local Heroes Award
This is awarded to the person or persons who has contributed most significantly to the City of Penrith demonstrating commitment and involvement in activities that have led to the betterment of the people within the Penrith community. The recipient/s need to be a Penrith resident, there’s no age limit.
Making A Difference - Community Service Award
This award recognises the person or persons who have shown outstanding dedication and contribution to one or more areas that has led to the betterment of the quality of life of others in the City of Penrith community in areas such as volunteering, charitable work, supported the community during emergencies or natural disasters, championing environmental initiatives, made a contribution in the sporting arena, or provided exceptional community leadership. For this award the recipient/s does not need to reside in the Penrith local government area. There is no age limit.
Penrith Council Civic Centre
601 High St, Penrith
8.30am – 4pm weekdays (excluding public holidays).
St Marys Business Office
207-209 Queen St, St Marys
9am –12.30pm and 1.30pm - 4pm weekdays (excluding public holidays).
c/o Communications Team
Penrith City Council
PO BOX 60
Penrith NSW 2751
You can also create a short video about the person you’re nominating which showcases the great work they are doing for the community. Share this video with us by emailing it to us, including a link to the video in your nomination form, or through Facebook, Instagram or Twitter by tagging Penrith City Council in your post.
Before submitting a nomination, please review the below eligibility checklist:
- Australian Permanent Resident or Australian Citizen
- Individual members of the public
- Local volunteer group, community groups, sporting groups or organisation (up to 6 members)
- Employees or volunteers of local organisations
- Nominees must reside, work or have made a significant contribution in the City of Penrith.
- Current Penrith City Council employees
- Sitting local, state and federal politicians
- Awards will not be granted posthumously
Nominations for the 2024 awards close Tuesday 30 April, 2024.
If you need assistance submitting a nomination, or have any questions, please contact Council’s Corporate Events Team at (02) 4732 7777 or
Nominations will be received by Council’s Corporate Events Team throughout the year. A panel of Penrith City Council Councillors will convene once nominations are closed to review all candidates.
The Councillor panel will discuss the nominations and each member of the panel will have the opportunity to vote on the nominee they feel is most worthy. The nominees who receive the most votes in each category will be selected to receive the award(s). The selection process will occur in May of each year.
The nominees will be assessed against the below criteria:
- Demonstrated contribution to the Penrith community
- A role model for the community
- Activities align with our core values of:
- Can do attitude – a focus on getting the right things done
- Harmony – valuing relationships – activity promoting collaboration and partnering to achieve more
- Lifestyle – setting a new benchmark for a balanced, healthy and respectful lifestyle
- Openness – embracing new ideas, new people to do things differently for our communities’ benefit
- Invention – looking for new and better ways of delivering services and community activities for greater participation and diversity
- Transformation – driving real change in our city for the betterment of our communities
Award recipients will be contacted in June and notified of their award, then they will be announced at Council’s July Ordinary Meeting and recognised at a formal event in August.
If you have any questions about the selection process, please contact Council’s Corporate Events Team at (02) 4732 7777 or
2023 LOCAL CELEBRATION AWARD WINNERS
2022 LOCAL CELEBRATION AWARD WINNERS
Citizen of the Year: Steven Green
Find out more about our 2022 Local Celebration Award winners.
2021 LOCAL CELEBRATION AWARD WINNERS
- Citizen of the Year, Kristine Gauci
- Young Citizen of the Year, Daena Madon
- Mayor’s Local Heroes, Marzi and Cathy DeSanti and Gloria Lenon
- Community Service, Robert Rayner, Michael Allen and Veronica Nou
Find out more about our 2021 Local Celebration Award winners.