Cooling the City Masterclass
- Written by Philippa Borland Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 email@example.com https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
Calling all city shapers, place makers and urban innovators!
Penrith City Council is holding a 'Cooling the City' Masterclass on 18 February 2020.
We’re inviting you to a one day masterclass to explore how we can tackle Sydney’s urban heat dilemma. Every year, Sydney swelters through its summers, and they are getting hotter. We need to cool the urban spaces. We want to tackle this dilemma and create a more liveable city. This Masterclass is aimed at leading planners, developers, builders, leading planners, developers, builders, architects, urban designers and professionals working with our built environment.
Our Masterclass aims to bring some of the best built environment experts from across Australia to Sydney, to have a critical discussion about the challenge of urban heat, the business case and imperative for action, innovative case studies from across Australia and how they can be adapted to our Sydney climate and urban form, and exploring where the leading research and policy is taking the built environment sector. Our confirmed speakers include:
- Dr Josh Byrne (Josh Byrne & Associates, ABC’s Gardening Australia)
- Sean Kahn (Sustainability Advisor, Frasers Property Australia)
- Dr Andy Marks (Assistant Vice-Chancellor, Western Sydney University)
- Dr Diane Pataki (Associate Vice President for Research, Professor of Biological Sciences, University of Utah)
- Rod Simpson (Environment Commissioner, Greater Sydney Commission)
- Beck Dawson (Chief Resilience Officer, Resilient Sydney)
- Dr Sebastian Pfautsch (Senior Research Fellow, Western Sydney University) NSW Department of Planning, Industry, and Environment, and CSIRO
- Simon Toze (Liveable, Sustainable and Resilient Cities, CSIRO)
- NSW Department of Planning, Industry, and Environment
Tickets are now available!
Bookings are now open for the Cooling the City Masterclass. We'll explore the challenge of urban heat, the business case and imperative for action, leading case studies and how we adapt them for Sydney, and where the leading policy and research is taking the built environment sector in to the future. At just $55, this provides excellent value and is a must attend for all built environment professionals. Please click here to book your ticket.
Expressions of interest now open for exhibitors in our showcase - closes 6 Dec
Do you have an innovative approach to urban design and reducing urban heat? Council is seeking expressions of interest to be involved in our upcoming Masterclass and be an exhibitor in our exhibition showcase. During breaks, you’ll be able to exhibit your projects, products, research or other work that is helping reduce urban heat. This is an opportunity for you to connect with with key stakeholders from a range of sectors and build your networks. There is no cost to be involved, however there are a limited number of spaces available, so it will be a competitive process. Applications for exhibitors closes 6 December. The EOI has just 3 simple questions to answer and can be downloaded here.
Like to stay up to date?
We’re delivering a Cooling the City Masterclass eNews over summer. This is the best way to keep up to date with our latest event announcements, the latest news and media coverage around heat, and case studies of work being done to create a cooler and more liveable city. You can subscribe to our Cooling the City Masterclass eNews below: