Soper Place Transformation One Step Closer
- Written by Teela Griffin Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 firstname.lastname@example.org https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
Sunday, 10 January 2021
The innovative transformation of Soper Place is set to provide so much more than just extra parking for Penrith and is now another step closer with designs formally submitted as part of the Development Application (DA).
The DA for Soper Place in the Penrith CBD seeks to deliver a five storey multi deck car park over a basement parking level, along with a four storey commercial building above.
Council’s design for the Soper Place Revitalisation was arrived at through a NSW Design Excellence Competition, which includes a dynamic multi-use public space, a public roof top garden and a living green facade.
Penrith Mayor Karen McKeown OAM, said the project will deliver a flagship sustainable building which takes meaningful action to help cool the City of Penrith.
“The DA submitted will help reduce urban heat by delivering a living green facade featuring plants from ecologies along the Nepean River, extensive plantings within the public domain and a green rooftop, all of which will contribute to Cooling our City,” Cr McKeown explained.
“The delivery of this sustainable development will not only provide 600 additional car parking spaces for Penrith, but importantly, it will further strengthen Penrith’s position as Western Sydney’s most liveable city.
“Soper Place Revitalisation also brings new community facilities in the form of a multi-use space, known as the ‘public room’, which will include a multi-sports court and playground. This versatile space can also be used for community based activities such as markets, movie nights, functions, events and concerts, so the scope for Penrith residents to make the most of this new space is unlimited,” Cr McKeown added.
When complete, Soper Place Revitalisation will deliver:
- Multi-storey car parking with 600 additional car parking spaces - including 11 accessible car parking spaces, 24 x motorbike parking spaces and 44 x bicycle parking spaces - responding directly to projected demand for parking in the City Centre.
- An A-Grade four storey office building with approximately 6,204m² of commercial floor area.
- Multi-use community space – the public room – 931m² of floor space.
- Public roof garden and green building facade, contributing to cooling the city.
- Public domain works at the ground level and extensive planting of the public rooftop garden – 2,600m².
The development will be on Public Exhibition for community feedback for four weeks from 18 January until 16 February 2021. You can view the DA proposal (DA20/0858) via Council’s online DA tracker here.
Postal Submissions on the DA should be directed to Penrith City Council, PO Box 60, Penrith NSW 2751.
Construction of the project is scheduled to start in late 2021, with Soper Place Revitalisation due to be completed in 2023.
Information contained within this news release was correct as at Sunday, 10 January 2021.