Flood Information

Flood Information

For emergency help in floods, and storms call NSW SES at any time on 132 500, in a life-threatening emergency call 000 (triple zero).

For official flooding evacuation updates please visit the NSW SES website www.ses.nsw.gov.au/

You can visit Council's Disaster Dashboard for emergency information, or Council’s Facebook page for regular flood updates.

For the latest traffic information, visit www.livetraffic.com, or download the Live Traffic NSW app, or call 132 701.

If you’ve been affected by floods, you can find a list of help available here, including financial assistance, clean-up help, and support for your mental wellbeing. This support is here for everyone, no matter how you have been affected. 


Mental Health and Wellbeing

Anyone aged 12-25 who’s mental health has been impacted by the flooding can call Headspace Penrith on 4720 8800 or use their text-based service on 1800 650 890.

If you are an adult who’d like to talk to someone about your mental health, call LikeMind Penrith on 8880 8111 http://likemind.org.au/penrith/.

Clean-Up and Waste Collection

If you need help with cleaning up on your property, you can request help from the SES by completing a short online form at https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/floods/nsw-floods-request-clean-and-essential-items or calling 13 77 88.

If you need a Council waste collection due to flooding, go to penrith.city/thewastespot and raise a ‘General Enquiry’ request or call 4732 7777. Please ensure you provide your name, address, phone number, type of waste (general waste, metals, mattresses, tyres or hazardous materials such as oil, paint and chemicals). This service does not count toward your annual bulky waste collection.

Food and Basics

If you are in need of groceries, furniture, or other everyday basics, email Westcare via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Housing and Accommodation

If you are worried about your housing situation (as a homeowner or renter) or require emergency accommodation or an extension of your emergency accommodation, call the Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322.

Grants and Payments 

Anyone who’s property, business, vehicle, or wages has been impacted by floods may be eligible for grants and payments. To find out which, go to https://disasterassistance.service.nsw.gov.au/

Community Wellbeing and Resilience Grants - Up to $10,000

The Community Wellbeing and Resilience Grants are funded through NSW Health and the Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care to support the mental health of those affected by the 2022 floods. These grants allow communities to choose their own way to respond to the losses, anxiety and distress they have experienced, as well as actively participate in their recovery. To find out more please visit: Grants | Nepean Blue Mountains PHN (nbmphn.com.au)

Financial Counselling

If you are experiencing financial difficulty and would like to speak to a financial counsellor, call Wesley Mission on 4723 9277.

Insurance and Legal Help

Insurance Council of Australia can help policyholders if they are uncertain which insurer they are with or have general inquiries about the claims process. Call 1800 734 621.

Legal Aid Penrith provide free legal help to disaster affected individuals with legal issues such as insurance, tenancy problems, legal rights at work, fines and debts, domestic violence and other everyday legal problems. Call 4732 3077.

Western Sydney Community Legal Centre provide legal support and advice with a range of programs according to your needs. Call 8833 0911.


Endeavour Energy have a range of assistance available for flood-affected customers to help them stay safe and get reconnected. Call 131 003.

To keep updated with the latest SES information and advice go to www.ses.nsw.gov.au/flood