Great River Walk
- Written by Adam Gatt Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 email@example.com https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
The Great River Walk offers stunning scenery along the Hawkesbury-Nepean River. Take your bike, pack a picnic or put on your walking shoes and visit the Great River Walk as it passes through Penrith at the foot of the Blue Mountains.
Click here for the Penrith Great River Walk Map to find out about parking, picnic areas, lookouts and sites of interest. The 'stars' on the map indicate the main entry points to the walk. It's a picturesque section of the larger walk which will cover 570km, linking the river's mouth at Broken Bay to its headwaters at Lake Bathurst, south of Goulburn. Council, with the NSW government, has been extending the path along the river banks as it passes through Emu Plains. In future, the walk will be extended towards Penrith Lakes and then on to Windsor, Wisemans Ferry and Berowra.
The Great River Walk is an important feature of the recently endorsed "Our River" Nepean River Masterplan. Download the Nepean River Masterplan to find out more about future proposals for the Nepean River area.
Bridge to Bridge Loop
- pack a picnic or enjoy a BBQ at Tench Reserve
- see FREE contemporary art at the renowned Penrith Regional Gallery (located along the bridge-to-bridge walk) and pause at its cafe
- bird watching, plus watch out for other wildlife!
- learn local history and stories with signs along the way.
- Find out more about Penrith activities and accommodation on the Visit Penrith website or contact Penrith Tourism on 1300 736 836.
The walk is within walking distance of Penrith and Emu Plains stations. To plan your trip using public transport, visit NSW Transport Info.
Parking is available at Tench Reserve, Weir Reserve or Regatta Park.
Share your walk experience
We thank and acknowledge these Great River Walk supporters:
- NSW Planning and Infrastructure's Metropolitan Greenspace Program
- JK Williams
- Thomas & Coffey
- Ross Sinclair
- Great River Walk Incorporated