Night Time Economy Strategy
- Written by Adam Gatt Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 email@example.com https://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia
Penrith Progression identified the creation of an evening economy as an important element in the revitalisation of the Penrith City Centre.
A night time (or evening) economy is driven by businesses that offer dining or entertainment activities after sunset.
Economic planning consultants Urbis Pty Ltd worked with Council to find out how the night time economy works, how big it is and what changes could be made to make it better.
The resulting Night Time Economy Strategy was commended at the 2016 Planning Institute of Australia (PIA) NSW Awards for Planning Excellence, in the Public Engagement and Community Planning category. The judges were impressed with Council’s “bottom up approach”, where “no aspect…was spared review” and as a result, “the breadth of strategies was commendable”. Click here to read more (page 31)
The vision for Penrith City’s night-time economy is to be safe, diverse and busy. It includes:
- Linked precincts
- Large and small spaces
- Indoor and outdoor fun
- Range of activities
- Suitable for the whole community
- Active at different times of the night.
Penrith has many strengths, such as the diverse businesses, leisure and recreation assets and the diverse urban landscape, which lend themselves to building a strong night time economy. The Strategy aims to build on these strengths, as well as:
- Create an environment to support a diverse range of activities and attractions;
- Create more opportunities for growth;
- Create a living City; and
- Show that Penrith is an active, bustling City.