Home  >  Waste & Environment  >  Environment  >  Trees
  • Trees

  • Included on this page

  • Removing or pruning a tree on private property

    If you want to prune or remove a tree on private property, you may need Council approval first. For example, if the tree is over 3m high, no matter what kind of tree it is, you need written Council permission before pruning or removing it. If you don't, you can be fined $3000 on the spot ($6000 for a corporation) or up to $1.1million by a court. This is because a tree preservation order applies to our whole City, under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979. 

    Read our Tree Preservation fact sheet (pdf 145KB) or the Penrith City Council Tree Preservation Order (pdf 29KB).

    How to apply for approval

    Download our Tree Pruning or Removal Application Form (accessible pdf 214KB).

    • An administration fee of $46.00 applies.
    • Most applications are determined within 20 days.
    • Approvals are valid for 12 months.

    A Council officer will assess your application based on the information you write on your application form, and a physical inspection of the tree. Things they will look at include the condition of the tree and problems it may be causing. If approval is granted to prune or remove the tree, conditions will be imposed. A replacement tree must be planted on the property in a more suitable location for each tree removed. You can speed up the assessment process by paying to have a qualified arborist (tree expert) prepare a detailed report, and including this with your application. Read our Guidelines for Arborist Reports (pdf 26KB).

    What can I do without Council approval?

    Read our Tree Preservation Order Exempt Species Factsheet (accessible pdf 110KB).

    10/50 rule affects some properties

    The NSW Rural Fires Amendment (Vegetation Clearing) Bill 2014 commenced on 1 August 2014, introducing the 10/50 rule. Visit the Rural Fire Service website for details and to check if your property is in a 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Entitlement Area. The new laws allow property owners in a designated 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Entitlement Area to:

    • clear trees on their property within 10m of a dwelling wall, without seeking approval and
    • clear underlying vegetation such as shrubs (but not trees) on their property within 50m of a dwelling wall, without seeking approval.

    If the 10/50 rule does not apply

    If your property is not shown to be within the 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Area then the normal tree application process applies.

    Problems with a neighbour's tree 

    If you are concerned about, or have suffered damage from, a neighbour's tree including its roots or falling branches - find out more in our Damage from Trees fact sheet (pdf 160KB).

    Trees on public land

    If you have a question or concern about a street tree or a tree on other public land, for example in a local park or reserve, please contact Council by phone on 4732 7777 or by email.

    Types of trees in Penrith

    See our Small Tree Species list (pdf 34KB)or Native Tree Species list (pdf 212KB).

Have your say

Community input is important

We encourage you to have your say about community plans, policies and issues that will shape our City's future...

Panthers Planning Proposal

South Penrith / Jamisontown - Public Open Space Reinvestment Project

Sport, Recreation, Play and Open Space Strategy

Community input is important

St Marys Office & Library has reopened

Council’s Customer Service counter has resumed their normal operating hours, and the Library has reopened with reduced services. There is now a small collection of books available to borrow, as well as some audio books and DVDs. There is also Wi-Fi, internet access, computers for the public to use, and photocopying. Printing is also now available.

Repairs will continue and Council hopes to restore the Library to full services as soon as possible.

To find out more about Library opening hours and services, please visit library.penrith.city. For more information about Council Services, please call 4732 7777.

Would you like to receive your rates notice via email?

It's quick and easy! Click on the button below for more information.

Receive your rates notice via email

Find us on
Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 council@penrith.city 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia