Home  >  Services  >  Health and Safety  >  Food safety
  • Food safety

  • Included on this page

  • We play an active role in protecting the health of our community, including by helping make sure the 700+ local food businesses follow high standards so the food they sell is safe to eat and doesn't make people sick.

    To tell us about a food business you believe is selling unsafe food or is not clean, contact Council's Environmental Health team on 4732 8055.

    Our Environmental Health Officers regularly advise and inspect food businesses including restaurants, cafes, child care centres, school canteens, kiosks, mobile food vans and temporary food stalls.

    Information for food businesses

    We work with business owners to help you understand and meet the legal standards, and when necessary we may need to take regulatory action.

    Contact our Environmental Health team on 4732 8055.

    What is a food business?

    Any person selling food or operating stalls or mobile vans used for selling food for human consumption, including any produce, fruit and vegetables or pre-packaged food, is deemed a 'food business' under the Food Act 2003 (NSW) (the Act). This includes not-for-profit organisations. In addition to your typical restaurant and takeaway shop, the following may also be a food business if they sell food: home industries, chemists, cinemas, corner stores, food transporters, caterers, video shops, petrol stations, public swimming pools and sport facilities, as well as food sellers at temporary events such as festivals, fairs, markets and fetes.

    The sale of food includes where food is provided as part of a service, is covered by an entry fee, offered as a prize or reward, or where samples are offered to promote a product.

    Legal requirements

    Food safety in NSW is legislated under the Food Act 2003 and the Food Regulation 2015 which require compliance with the Food Standards Code, including the Food Safety Standards developed by Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) (previously called the Australian and New Zealand Food Authority).

    Visit the Food Standards Australia New Zealand website for information and to see the Food Safety Standards.

    Fitout requirements for food business premises

    There are certain requirements for premises to be used for preparation or sale of food. See for example AS4674-2004 - Construction and Fitout of Food Premises (available for purchase from Standards Australia).

    Applying to Council for permission to construct or fit out food premises? See our Environmental Health Checklist for Food Premises (pdf).

    Registration with Council

    All retail food businesses in Penrith City must be registered with Council and are subject to routine health and hygiene inspections. Please make sure Council has up-to-date information about the owner and contact details of your food business.

    To notify us of a new food business or a change of proprietor at an existing food business please complete a Registration of Food Premises form (pdf 401KB).

    Scores on Doors

    Council supported the roll-out of the NSW Food Authority Scores on Doors Program across Penrith from 1 July 2016, so the community can see the food safety inspection results of local food businesses, providing another incentive for businesses to maintain high levels of food safety. Visit our Scores on Doors page for more information. 

    Food Safety Supervisors

    Most food businesses in NSW are required by law to appoint at least one trained Food Safety Supervisor and penalties may apply if your business does not comply with the requirements. For more information visit the Food Safety Supervisor section of the NSW Food Authority website.

    A copy of the Food Safety Supervisor certificate must be kept on the food premises at all times and our Environmental Health Officers can ask to see it. There must be at least one Food Safety Supervisor for each food premises and this person cannot be a Food Safety Supervisor for more than one premises. If a person or company operates multiple outlets, a Food Safety Supervisor will be required for each outlet. The Food Safety Supervisor must be trained by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) approved by the NSW Food Authority. Not all training organisations that run food hygiene courses are approved by the NSW Food Authority to issue Food Safety Supervisor certificates. See the list of approved training organisations for Food Safety Supervisors. Refresher training is required every 5 years.

    Mobile food vending

    To register, complete a Mobile Food Vending Vehicles Registration form (accessible pdf 167KB). We will contact you to arrange an inspection of your vehicle. You may also need to complete an Application To Sell Food (accessible pdf 271KB) each time you wish to sell food at a temporary event in Penrith City.

    Read Council's Fact Sheet for Mobile Food Vendors (accessible pdf 217KB) or see the NSW Food Authority's - Mobile Food Vending Vehicles (operation, construction and food handling guidelines)

    Temporary food stalls

    For the health of our community, Council requires all temporary food businesses to apply for permission to operate at events in our City. Council's Environmental Health team regularly inspect food businesses at local markets, festivals and other events.

    Complete an Application To Sell Food (accessible pdf 271KB) and return it to Council's Health and Environment team at least 2 weeks before the event. Approved operators need to follow the NSW Food Authority's Food Handling Guidelines for Temporary Events.

    Food Safety Newsletter

    Read our quarterly food safety newsletter to stay up to date:

    Fact sheets and guides

    Council fact sheets:

    See the NSW Food Authority fact sheets on a range of topics including:

    • Cleaning and sanitising
    • Doner kebabs
    • Labelling
    • Pest control
    • Sushi
    • Temperature control
    • Using eggs safely

    See the Food Standards Australia NZ fact sheets on a range of topics including:

    Other useful food safety links

    NSW Food Act 2003

    Food Standards Australia New Zealand-The primary role of the Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) is, in association with others, to protect the health and safety of people in Australia and New Zealand through the maintenance of a safe food supply.

    Food Safety Information Council- a non-profit group with representatives of State and Federal governments, food industry and professional associations. Membership is open to any organisation with an interest in promoting safe food handling practices for consumers.

Have your say

Community input is important

We encourage you to have your say about community plans, policies and issues that will shape our City's future...

South Penrith / Jamisontown - Public Open Space Reinvestment Project

Sport, Recreation, Play and Open Space Strategy

Community input is important

Find us on
Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 council@penrithcity.nsw.gov.au 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia