Home  >  Development  >  Common development types
  • Common development types

  • Included on this page

  • Industrial and commercial development

    Commercial development of land generally includes any business, office or retail premises for the provision of administrative, clerical, technical, or professional services to the public; or for the purpose of selling, hiring or displaying items for the purpose of selling them or hiring them out. 

    Industrial development of land generally includes premises used for the manufacturing, production, assembling, repairing, processing, recycling, servicing of goods or articles for commercial purposes. It also involves storage and transportation activities.

    Most commercial or industrial activity and buildings require development consent prior to undertaking the work or operation of the business. Some development may be undertaken as complying development under   State Environmental Planning Policy 2008 (Exempt and Complying Development). For more information about Exempt and Complying Development visit the   NSW Planning website.

    Signage associated with commercial and industrial development may also require development consent or may be exempt development in accordance with   State Environmental Planning Policy 2008 (Exempt and Complying Development). Further information regarding Exempt and Complying Development can be found at the   NSW Planning website.

  • Other development types

    Change of use

    Change of building use means a change of use of a building from a use that the Building Code of Australia recognises as appropriate to one class of building to a use that the Building Code of Australia recognises as appropriate to a different class of building.

    Some changes of use of buildings can be undertaken either as exempt development, or as complying development. This may mean that approval from Council is not required or may be obtained from Council or a Private Certifier in 10 days as Complying Development. Details of these can be seen in   State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

    Other changes of use will require development consent to be obtained from Council.

    Generally, the new use will need to be allowed in the zone and meet a range of other criteria relating to maximum floor area and Building Code of Australia requirements.

    For more information contact Council's Duty Planner on 4732 7991.

    Home based businesses

    Council supports home based business. There are some rules about what types of businesses can operate in residential areas. To find out more, contact our duty planner on 4732 7991.  

    If you're required to lodge an application for your Home Based Business, please read the following:

    Development Application Form (accessible pdf 359KB)

    Home Based Business - DA Information Sheet (accessible pdf 76KB) 

  • Residential development

    Residential development includes all residential development types from single dwellings and granny flats to large apartment buildings. Different zones and lot sizes allow for different densities and types of housing.

    Dwelling houses, secondary dwellings (granny flats) and dual occupancies

    A dwelling house is a building which contains only one dwelling. Where there are two dwellings on a block of land they are commonly known as a dual occupancy or secondary dwelling. The dwellings in a dual occupancy may be attached or detached. A secondary dwelling may also be attached to, within, or separate from the main dwelling. 

    A secondary dwelling differs from a dual occupancy in that the total floor area of the secondary dwelling cannot be more than 60 square metres.

    A semi-detached dwelling is a dwelling house that is on its own block of land and is attached to one other dwelling on a separate block of land.

    All dwellings, secondary dwellings and dual occupancies require approval before they can be built. Approval may be obtained by making a development application or; in certain circumstances, a dwelling or secondary dwelling may be approved in 20 days as complying development.

    See the secondary dwelling fact sheet (accessible pdf 186KB). Or for more information regarding secondary dwellings and complying development, see Affordable rental housing below.

    Multi-unit housing and residential flat buildings

    Multi-unit housing generally means a residential development that contains 3 or more dwellings. Multi-unit housing can take the form of villas, town houses, apartments, or residential flat buildings.

    See the residential development fact sheet (accessible pdf 226KB).

    Rural residential development

    See the rural residential development fact sheet (accessible pdf 126KB).

  • Subdivision

    Subdivision of land generally means the division of land into two or more parts. There are different types of subdivision including Torrens Title, Strata Title and Community Title.

    See our subdivision factsheet (accessible pdf 61KB) for more information.

  • Affordable rental housing

    Affordable rental housing is housing for very low to moderate income households.

    The State Environmental Planning Policy (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009 (ARH SEPP) was introduced on 31 July 2009. The policy's intent is to increase the supply and diversity of affordable rental and social housing in the state.

    The ARH SEPP covers housing types including villas, townhouses and apartments that contain an affordable rental housing component, along with secondary dwellings (granny flats), boarding houses, group homes, social housing and supportive accommodation.

    Your local council or an accredited certifier can issue approvals for secondary dwellings / granny flat developments as long as they meet specific criteria under the ARH SEPP.

    All other development under the ARH SEPP requires approval from the relevant consent authority which is the local council in most cases.

    For more information see Council's secondary dwelling fact sheet (accessible pdf 196KB) or the NSW Planning and Infrastructure website.

Have your say

Community input is important

We encourage you to have your say about community plans, policies and issues that will shape our City's future...

Nepean River Flood Study

Sport, Recreation, Play and Open Space Strategy

Community input is important

Would you like to receive your rates notice via email?

It's quick and easy! Click on the button below for more information.

Receive your rates notice via email

Find us on
Penrith City Council (02) 4732 7777 (02) 4732 7958 council@penrith.city 601 High St Penrith NSW 2750 Australia