to: Werrington NSW,
|Location: Where is Werrington?
Werrington, New South Wales Australia, is
located within the City of Penrith. Werrington is located west
of St Marys and north of the Great Western Highway. It
straddles the Western Railway Line. Historically, the region's
settled history dates back to 1806 with land grants to Mary &
Elizabeth King, daughters of Governor King, and a grant of 600
acres to Mary Putland, Governor Bligh's daughter. The land was used
for grazing and farming and by the 1880s had been subdivided for
residential and small farming lots. This suburb has a feel of
openness and retains many picturesque areas of open space, which
are used for educational and recreational activities. Nearby
Werrington Lakes, one of the largest passive recreational areas in
the city, is a haven for wildlife and outdoor activities.
Werrington also is well serviced with public transport and sporting
||Population: 3528(2006 Census)
||Distance from Sydney:
48.5 km NW
|Area: 4.45 km or 445 ha
||Density: 7.93 people per ha (2006
||Werrington NSW on
Local Government: Werringtonis located in North Ward of the Penrith Local
|State Government: Werrington
is located in the State Government Electorate of Londonderry.
Next elections are scheduled for March 2015.
Pty. Ltd. Head Office (02) 9890 0000 All timetables are
shown for Werrington.
Cemetery Servicesin the Penrith Local Government Area. In the City of
Penrith there are three cemeteries managed by Penrith City Council.
They are Penrith, St Marys
and Emu Plains.
Services & Child Care Centres
information on Penrith City Councils Childrens Services and Moblie Playvan
Centre: 7 - 11 Cottage Street, Werrington 2747
Ph: (02) 4731 6929.
Yoorami Outside School
Hours Care: 7 - 11 Cottage Street, Werrington
Ph: (02) 4731 4572.
Thorndale Centre: Rance Street, Werrington,
Ph: (02) 9623 6500; Fax: (02) 9623 8305. The Thorndale Centre is an
employment facility for up to 50 adult employees. Thorndale offers
residential and supported employment services to adults with medium
to high intellectual disabilities.
- Penrith Council
conducts immunisation clinics for all childhood vaccinations
including Diphtheria, Tetanus, Whooping Cough, Polio, Measles,
Mumps, Rubella and Meningitis. Adult vaccinations for Diphtheria,
Tetanus, Polio, Measles, Mumps and Rubella are also
- Medical Services for
the Penrith City Local Government
Public School: Heavey Street, Werrington NSW
Ph: (02) 9623 7077; Fax: (02) 9623 1339.
- University of
Western Sydney: Postal: University of Western Sydney Locked Bag 1797
Penrith South DC NSW 1797.
Ph: (02) 9852 5222. The 158-hectare Penrith campus has two sites,
Kingswood and Werrington. The sites are linked by a free shuttle
bus service. The Werrington North & South Campus sites are on
both sides of the Great Western Highway. The Chancellery is located
in Frogmore House, Werrington North.
2006 Census of Population and Housing
years and over
|Total number of families
|Median household income
|Lone person households
Bureau of Statistics. Copyright in ABS data resides with the
Commonwealth of Australia. Used with permission.
NA: These figures are
not yet available
For more data on Werrington (or any other areas in
New South Wales) from the 2006 Census, please contact Penrith
Library Research Services (02) 4732 7886, or call in to Penrith
City Library Civic Centre 601 High Street Penrith, NSW 2750.
Land use profile
Juvenile Justice Centre Cnr Great
Western Highway and Water Street, St Marys 2760.
Ph: (02) 9623 8088; Fax (02) 9673 4917
Station: Werrington Railway Station is on the Western
Street is named after Albert Consort to Queen
|Heavey Street is the named
after the Heavey family. Andy Heavey owned a shop in High
|Victoria Street is a main
road running through Werrington. It was named after Queen
Creek Riparian Restoration Project: Between Victoria & Burton
Streets, Werrington. Work has commenced in the "Peninsula Area".
Mowing of the area has ceased and some revegetation was carried out
last year by the Green Corps team. There has been moderate success
here however the weeds are invading in masses again. Source: Bushcare Times June
|Werrington Creek: Werrington Creek is a small creek that flows into
South Creek. It has its origins in Orchard Hills and runs through
the University of Western Sydney campus and the suburbs of
Kingswood, Werrington, and Werrington County. The creek is a
catchment for a number of diverse urban land uses. It is capable of
capturing high volumes of runoff from rainfall. Werrington Creek
rehabilitation is fully supported by the local Werrington Creek
|Werrington Lake: This man-made lake was conceived as a solution to help
relieve flooding around Werrington Creek Removal of earth began in
late 1981. The earth was used to create the rail overpass at
Werrington. Lakes construction began in 1982. Stage One cost
$225,000. An additional three stages followed, beginning in 1984.
The cost of these stages exceeded $500,000. Council constructed
walkways, bridges and wharves. Werrington Lakes are a haven for
students undertaking wetland and water conservation studies. It has
also become a recreational area for picnickers and sports
enthusiasts. The area has naturally attracted a great variety of
For more general
information on the Dharug people please see The Dharug
Story by Chris Tobin (Penrith City Library collection
994.004 DHA). It is also available online.
For information on the Aboriginal population of Erskine Park from
the 2001 Census of Population and Housing see Population section above.
the place name - Werrington
The suburb of Werrington is named after
Werrington estate. Mary King, the youngest daughter of Governor
Philip King received a land grant of 790 acres in 1806. After her
marriage to Robert Copland Lethbridge in Cornwall she returned to
NSW with her husband. Lethbridge purchased an additional 600 acres
adjoining his wife's grant. It is on this land that their home
Werrington House was built and completed in 1832. The house
remained in the King-Lethbridge family until quite recently.
Werrington covers, not only the area of this grant, but also a
grant of 600 acres (Frogmore) to Mary Putland. She married Maurice
O'Connell in 1810. This grant lies south of the Western Railway
Line and north of the Great Western Highway. Confusion occasionally
arises between Werrington House and the house now part of the
University of Western Sydney campus, Werrington Park
(Frogmore). Originally the homestead on the O'Connell estate
was named Frogmore. It was re-named Werrington Park in 1935 by the
owners, the Williams family.
Frogmore - now part of
University of Western Sydney
||Werrington House (Rugby
Street, Werrington County) - The home of Robert & Mary
||Grant of 790 acres to Mary King, daughter of Governor
Philip King. Named Marys
||Grant of 600 acres to Mary Putland, daughter of
Governor William Bligh. Named
||Mary Putland married Maurice
||Robert & Mary Lethbridge arrive in
||Sir Maurice O'Connell died in
||Frogmore sold to land speculator, Andrew Hardie
||Frogmore subdivided and
||Sir Henry Parkes leased Werrington House for 12
||Mary O'Connell died in
||Robert Copland Lethbridge
||Parkes Platform opened as a private railway platform
for Sir Henry
||Parkes Platform opened for public
||Werrington estate was sold, including Werrington
||Parkes Platform renamed
||St Aidan's Church of England was
||Alan Williams purchased the homestead on Frogmore and
renamed it Werrington
||Second storey added to Werrington
||Part of Williams' property resumed by the Commonwealth
for army use.
||NSW Child Welfare Department
purchased Werrington Park to house intellectually disabled
||Werrington Community Hall
||Cobham Remand Centre was
||Railway overpass constructed over railway line near
||Kingsway sporting fields
||The diaries of John King Lethbridge, grandson of
Governor King, found buried on what once was Werrington
||University of Western Sydney began extensive
restructuring involving the formation of new Colleges and Schools
at Penrith &
For more information
Jack, R. Ian &
Liston, C., From Frogmore Farm to Werrington Park: a history of
the Werrington site, University of Western Sydney, University
of Western Sydney, 1991.
Murray, Robert and
White, Kate Dharug & Dungaree: The History of Penrith and
St Marys to 1860. Penrith City Council,
Historical Society, From Castlereagh to Claremont Meadows:
Historical Places of Penrith City Council, Penrith,
Parr, Lorna, A
History of the Nepean and District Street Names, Nepean
District Historical Society, Penrith, 1990.
John King Lethbridge: The diaries 1871 & 1880, Nepean
District Historical Society, 2000.
Penrith Calendar, Nepean District Historical Society,
Pictorial History: Penrith & St Marys, Kingsclear
Books, Alexandria, 2002.
R., Place Names and their Origins within the City of
Penrith, Penrith City Council, Penrith, 1985.
Christine, The Old Charm of Penrith, 2nd ed., the author,
St. Marys, 1984.
Please e-mail your
comments to Lorraine Stacker, including the web address of this
Penrith City Council Library Service
Copyright © Penrith City Council. All rights reserved.
Revised: 6 April 2011