Skip to main content

Dogs and Cats

Contact Council's Animal Services team on 4732 7543 during business hours for advice and information.

Find out about our next free microchipping day.

Read about changes to the law affecting cat and dog owners

Find animal ownership forms

Or if you need to:

  • report dog attacks - call Council on 4732 7777 or the police as soon as possible
  • enquire about your lost cat or dog - call Hawkesbury Animal Shelter (Mulgrave Rd, McGraths Hill) on 4560 4644
  • report an animal you've found - call Council's Animal Services on 4732 7543 during business hours   
  • report animal cruelty - call the Animal Welfare League on 8777 3300 or RSPCA on 9770 7555.

If a barking dog in your neighbourhood is causing a problem for you, try talking to the dog owner first if possible. You can also lodge a complaint with Council using our Community Disputes and Lodgment form. To help us investigate and help resolve the problem, we will ask you to fill in a Barking Dog Diary.

Your responsibilities as a pet owner 

If you own a cat or dog, the Companion Animals Act 1998 requires them to be microchipped and registered. To support our residents with their legal responsibilities, Council with Housing NSW holds up to 2 Free Microchipping Days each year. The next Free Microchipping Day will be held on 20 September 2014.

See the NSW Division of Local Government's webpage: Microchipping and registering your cat or dog for details and to download and complete a registration form.   

The NSW Division of Local Government cats and dogs webpage lists NSW regulations applying to pet ownership and has useful information on topics including:  

  • barking dogs
  • dog attacks 
  • information for breeders
  • responsible pet ownership, including desexing your pet
  • restricted and dangerous dog breeds.

Click here for their Companion Animals brochures.

On-the-spot fines apply under the Companion Animals Act 1998 for:           

  • Unleashed dog in a public place 
  • Dog not wearing a collar and ID tag in public 
  • Animal not permanently identified/microchipped 
  • Selling an animal not permanently identified 
  • Animal not registered 
  • Failure to remove faeces
  • Not notifying change in registration ID
  • Dog or cat in a prohibited place (including school/preschool/kindergarten grounds, shopping centres, public bathing areas including beaches, food preparation areas, sporting fields, playgrounds and wildlife protection areas)
  • Owning a dog that attacks.  

There are also heavy fines for dogs that are declared dangerous or restricted. 

Renting with Pets

Are you a tenant looking for a pet friendly rental? Or a landlord considering renting your property to tenants with pets? For information and agreement forms for tenants and landlords visit the Australian Companion Animal Council website.

Local off-leash areas for dogs


Tips for responsible pet ownership      


  • should be contained inside or in a cat run, particularly at night, to restrict roaming and potential nuisance to neighbours
  • should wear a collar with name, address where it resides and the owner's contact number 
  • should have a bell attached to their collar to help reduce their threat to birds


  • should be trained from a young age, to help reduce nuisance barking and increase their socialisation skills
  • need daily exercise for at least half an hour, such as a walk on a lead.   

Other useful links  

  •  Dogs NSW (formerly the Royal NSW Canine Council) sets standards for breeds and maintains and controls pedigree.
  •  Pets In The City is a handy guide if you're considering owning a cat or dog. It includes tips on selecting a breed to suit your household and lifestyle, and how to care for your pet.
  •  Penrith Kennel and Obedience Club runs regular training classes in responsible dog ownership and socialising dogs, and breed shows and obedience trials.
  • Keeping poultry: Residents can keep 10 chickens (no roosters) on their property in the Penrith Local Government Area. You will need to meet the Local Government (General) Regulation 2005 requirements as outlined in Division 2 Keeping of poultry.